Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Barry Sanders being carried off the field after becoming only the 3rd player in NFL history to rush for 2000 plus yards in a season.
|Date of birth||July 16, 1968|
|Place of birth||Wichita, Kansas|
|NFL Draft||1989 / Round Round 1/Pick 3|
|Pro Bowls||10x NFC Pro-Bowl Selection|
|1989 - 1998||Detroit Lions|
|College Hall of Fame|
|Pro Football Hall of Fame, 2004|
Barry Sanders (born July 16, 1968) is a Hall of Fame and Heisman Trophy winning American football running back who spent his entire professional career with the Detroit Lions of the NFL. Sanders is best known for being among the most prolific running backs in NFL history, but he retired in his prime, leaving him just short of the all-time rushing record.
- Sanders is an unlockable boxer in the video game Knockout Kings 2002. He is a free agent running back in the Madden NFL games and ESPN NFL 2K5 video game in season mode if the player gets the Super Bowl MVP Award and wins the game.
- Sanders is also known as one of the most unstoppable players in Tecmo Super Bowl, a Nintendo game that was incredibly popular during his early career. Many tournaments banned the Lions due the fact that using Sanders gave the team an almost unfair advantage. Other players with this quirk were Thurman Thomas and Bo Jackson.
- Sanders appears in the original NFL Street as an unlockable legend and he can be created in NFL Street 2 as a player in his likeness.
- Sanders appeared in Madden NFL 1999 as a member of the Detroit Lions, but he would later retire before the following season.
- Sanders will appear on the cover of 2K Sports All-Pro Football 2K8.
- Sanders reportedly was a member of the Detroit Lions because of former coach Wayne Fontes. The Lions' management wanted to draft another Sanders, cornerback Deion, but Fontes convinced them to draft Barry instead.
- Sanders teamed up with ESPN's Kenny Mayne a few years after retirement and did a joke interview, stating his "retirement" was a result of miscommunication between Sanders and his coach Bobby Ross (Sanders saying he was "tired" and being misheard). The segment also made sure to point out that Sanders never spiked the ball during his career.
- Sanders holds the record for the most yards gained on a Thanksgiving Day game.
- In the Madden (video game) community, it is commonly referred to as playing like Barry Sanders when the juke and spin controls are used for domination.
- With his very first kick return attempt in college at Oklahoma State, Barry Sanders took the ball all the way downfield for a touchdown. Then starting running back, Thurman Thomas looked at his coach and said, "This guy is gonna be pretty good."
- Barry's son, Barry J. Sanders, is a running back at Stanford.
- In early 2013, Sanders won a fan vote of 64 players to become the cover player on Madden 25.
Ron Knapp Sports Great Barry Sanders Revised Edition copyright date 1999 page 16